Human Rights Centre is concerned about the situation of prisoners who are on hunger strike
August 14, 2018

Information Minister makes decisions restrictive to freedom of media

Hargeisa- 5th November 2018

The Minister of Information of the Republic of Somaliland should stop recurrent decisions restrictive to freedom of media protected in the Constitution and the Press Law, Human Rights Centre said today.

On 1st November 2018, the Minister of Information, Abdirahman Abdilahi Farah, wrote a letter to the Attorney General asking to take “a legal action” against two privately owned televisions, Saab and Star.

The Minister accused the two television stations of violating a previous order banning Somaliland media “of making any communications with a robbery group led by Caare,” says the Minister’s letter seen by Human Rights Centre. The letter refers to a former military officer who left the Somaliland National Army and formed what he called “an armed opposition group.”

The dispatch of the Minister states that the televisions aired “on 27th October 2018 news detrimental to the sovereignty” of Somaliland, and asked the Attorney General to take an action against Saab and Star televisions “to prevent the media to report news destabilizing the peace and security of the country.’

The management of one of the televisions named by the Minister told the Human Rights Centre that they have not violated the laws of Somaliland, but aired statement made by a “dissident colonel.”

“This is not the first time the Minister of Information issued a decision threatening and squeezing freedom of media. In an earlier directive, he ordered the Somaliland media not to give coverage news that is “destabilizing the peace”. Last week the governor of Sool region instructed all journalists based in Sool not to provide any news coverage to Puntland administration or talk about anything related to Puntland,” says Guleid Ahmed Jama, the director of Human Rights Centre.

 

On 29th May, the minister banned SOMNews and SBS TV from operating in Somaliland. SOMNews was later allowed to operate.

“We are very concerned about the restrictions against the media particularly on matters related to Sool and Sanaag regions. It is clear that the minister is intimidating the media, and is trying to impose censorship on the independent media,” he added.

Article 32 of Somaliland Constitution guarantees freedom of media and stipulates “all acts to subjugate them are prohibited.”

Guleid Ahmed Jama

Director of Human Rights Centre Somaliland

Email: hrcsomaliland@gmail.com

Twitter: @hrcsomaliland @GuleidJ

Xarunta Xuquuqal Insaanku waxaay walaac ka qabtaa go’aano cabudhin ku ah warbaahinta oo uu soo saaray Wasiirka Warfaafintu

 

Hargeisa- 4th November 2018

 

Xarunta Xuquuqal Insaanku waxaay u soo jeedinaysaa Wasiirka Warfaafinta ee Jamhuuriyadda Somaliland inuu joojiyo amarada is-daba joogga ah ee xanibaadda ku ah xorriyadda warbaahinta oo ay ilaaliyeen dastuurka iyo Xeerka Saxaafaddu.

1 November 2018 wuxuu Wasiirka Warfaafinta, mudane Cabdiraxmaan Cabdilaahi Faarax, u qoray waraaq Xeer-ilaaliyaha Guud oo uu ka codsaday inuu “talaabo sharci ah” ka qaado labada telefiishan ee kala ah Saab iyo Star.

Wasiirku wuxuu ku eedeeyey labada telefiishan inay jebiyeen amar hore oo ku waajibinayay warbaahinta “inaanay wax xidhiidh ah la samayn kooxda budhcadda ah ee Caare,” sida waraaqda wasiirka oo ay aragtay Xaruntu lagu sheegay.

 

Waraaqda Wasiirku waxaay ka hadlaysaa sarkaal hore uga tirsanaan jiray Ciidanka Qaranka oo ka tegay, sheegayna inuu samaystay waxa uu ugu yeedhay “jabhad hubaysan oo mucaarad ah.”

 

Wasiirku wuxuu sheegay in labada telefiishan ay “si badheedh ah u baahiyeen 27 October 2018 war dhaawac ku ah Qaranimada,” wuxuuna ka codsaday Xeer-ilaaliyaha Guud inuu talaabo ka qaado Saab iyo Star si “looga hortago in warbaahin kasta fidiyaan warar khalkhal gelinaya amaanka iyo xasiloonida dalka.”

 

Maamulka mid ka ah telefiishanada wasiirku magacaabay ayaa u sheegay Xarunta Xuquuqal Insaanka inaanay jebin shuruucda Somaliland, balse ay sii daayeen war uu tebiyay “sarkaalka ka goostay ciidanka.”

Maaha markii kowaad ee Wasiirka Warfaafintu uu soo saaro amar hadidaad iyo cidhiidhi ku ah xorriyadda warbaahinta. Amar hore oo uu soo saaray wuxuu ku amray inaan warbaahinta Somaliland ka warami karin arimo khal-khal gelin kara amaanka. Todobaadkii hore, badhasaabka Sool wuxuu ku amray suxufiyiinta ka shaqeeya gobolkiisa inaanay ka warami karin maamulka Puntland.

 

29 kii May 2018, wasiirku wuxuu xayiray labada telefiishan ee SOMNews iyo SBS. Markii danbe xayiraadii waa laga qaaday SOMNews.

Xarunta Xuquuqal insaanku way ka walaacsan tahay mamnuucista isdaba joogga ah ee ka dhanka ah warbaahinta, gaar ahaan arimaha khuseeyo Sool iyo Sanaag. Waxa cad in falalka wasiirku ay cago juglayn ku yihiin warbaahinta islamarkaana ay yihiin isku day lagu faaf reebayo warbaahinta madaxa-banaan.

 

Qodobka 32aad ee dastuurka Somaliland wuxuu damaanad qaaday xorriyadda warbaahinta, isaga oo reebay dhamaan falalka lagu cabudhinayo.

 

Guleid Ahmed Jama

Agaasimaha Xarunta Xuquuqal Insaanka, Somaliland

Email: hrcsomaliland@gmail.com

Twitter: @hrcsomaliland @GuleidJ

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *