Human Rights Centre Publishes August 2018 Report
August 13, 2018

Human Rights Centre is concerned about the situation of prisoners who are on hunger strike

On 4th August 2018, nine inmates in Hargeisa Prison started a hunger strike. The inmates who have been in jail for cases related to “terrorism” are claiming that their prison terms have ended. The Office of Attorney General claims that the allegation of the striking prisoners is not true.

Background

On 31st May 2007, the then president of Somaliland Dahir Rayale Kahin has extended pardon to 14 prisoners by reducing their prison terms. As a result of the reductions, two of them were released. On 12th November 2008, the president issued a letter stating that the President has revoked the pardon due to “terrorist attacks” that happened in Somaliland on 29th October 2008.

The lawyers of the inmates argue that the withdrawal decision of the President is not legally binding and argue that the president had no legal power to reverse a pardoned he extended. The Attorney General contends that the decision of the president to withdraw his pardon is legitimately binding and therefore prisoners’ jail terms have not expired.

In such contentions, nine inmates went hunger strike to protest.

Situation

Two of the striking inmates have been in ill health in years, and the hunger strike has deteriorated their health, family members told Human Rights Centre (HRC).

On 9th August, the Human Rights Centre, Somaliland Lawyers Association and COMPAD human rights organization wrote a letter to the Minister of Justice requesting access to meet the prisoners who went the strike. So far, the access is not given.

Human Rights Centre visited the Hargeisa Prison, Ministry of Justice, the headquarters of the Prison Guards on 6th, 7th and 8th August, but was not allowed to meet the prisoners who are on hunger strike.

Today, family members and the lawyer of the prisoners, Mohamed Ahmed Abokor, and the government official told HRC that the prisoners are still on hunger strike. The lawyer told HRC that most of them are weaker and in ill health.

Recommendations

Human Rights Centre calls on the government of Somaliland:

  1. To allow independent organizations to meet and see the prisoners who are on a hunger strike;
  2. To give health care and support from independent medical experts;
  3. To seriously consider their complaints.

Contact:

Guleid Ahmed Jama

Director of Human Rights Centre

Hargeisa Somaliland

Email: hrcsomaliland@gmail.com

 

Xarunta Xuquuqal Insaanka: Xaaladda maxaabiis cuntada ka soontay oo laga dayriyay

Sagaal maxbuus oo ku jira Xabsiga Dhexe ee Hargeysa ayaa bilaabay inay cuntada ka soomaan 4tii August 2018. Maxaabiistan oo loo xidhay eedo la xidhiidha “argagixiso” waxaay ku doodayaan in mudadii xadhigoodu uu ka dhamaaday. Xafiiska Xeer-ilaalintu wuxuu ku doodayaa inaanu ka dhamaan.

Taariikhdu markay ahayd 31 May 2007 waxa madaxwaynihii hore ee Somaliland mudane Daahir Rayaale Kaahin uu saamaxad uu fidiyay 14 maxbuus oo uu hoos u dhigay mudadii lagu xukumay. Laba ka mid ah markii xabsigu ka dhamaaday waa la sii daayay. 12 November 2008 ayuu madaxwaynuhu soo saaray qoraal kale oo uu ku sheegay inuu ka noqday saamaxadii, kadib markii qaraxyo ka dheceen Somaliland 29th October 2008.

Qaareenada maxaabiistu waxaay ku doodayaan inaan madaxwaynuhu awood sharci u lahayn inuu ka noqdo saamaxaad uu bixiyay sidaasdarteed aanay dhaqangal ahayn ka noqoshadu. Waxaay markaas qabaan in mudada xabsi haynta loo raacayo saamaxaadda madaxwaynaha.

Murankaas kadib, sagaal maxbuus ayaa cunto ka soomis bilaabay.

Xaaladdu siday hada tahay

Laba ka mid ah maxaabiista cuntada ka soonta marka horeba way xanuunsanayeen. Cunto ka soomistuna way uga sii dartay, sida eheladoodu u sheegeen Xarunta Xuquuqal Insaanka.

Sagaalkii August 2018 Xarunta Xuquuqal Insaanka, Ururka Qareenada ee Somaliland iyo ururka COMPAD waxaay u qoreen qoraal codsi ah Wasiirka Caddaaladda si loogu ogolaado inay la kulmaan maxaabiista cuntada ka soontay. Ilaa hada ogolaanshahaas lama bixin.

Xarunta Xuquuqal Insaanku dhawr jeer ayay booqatay xabsiga balse looma ogolaan inay aragto maxaabiista cuntada ka soontay.

Xubno ka tirsan qoysaska maxabiista, qareenkooda oo ah Maxamed Axmed Abokor iyo sarkaal dawladeed oo la hadlay Xarunta Xuquuqal Insaanka waxay sheegeen in weli maxaabiistaasi cuntada ka sooman yihiin. Qareenku wuxuu sheegay in xaaladoodu ka sii dartay dhinaca caafimaadka.

Talo-soo jeedin

Xarunta Xuquuqal Insaanku waxaay dawladda Somaliland ka codsanaysaa:

  1. Inay u ogolaato ururada madaxa-banaan inay arkaan oo la kulmaan maxaabiista cuntada ka soontay;
  2. Inay daryeel caafimaad oo ay bixinayaan khuburo caafimaad oo madax-banaan loo ogolaado maxaabiista, kuwii u baahan cusbitaal in la dhigona loo ogolaado;
  3. Inay tixgelin siiso cabashadooda oo la eego dacwadooda.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *